Hi! My name is William, and I am a life-long student of yoga and human potential. Thanks for taking some time to read about my journey. My first yoga teacher was Lorna Brown (1989-1993), whom I met while completing my undergraduate degree in Botany at Humboldt State University. After several years of regular, personal practice and a whole lot of life experience, I began studies at Kripalu Center, earning 200-hour (2001) and 500-hour (2007) Yoga Teaching Certifications.
Yoganand Michael Carroll has been my primary yoga teacher since 2001, at both the Kripalu Center, as well as the school he created, Pranakriya School of Yoga Healing Arts. I feel both gratitude and privilege to have learned Tantric Hatha Yoga practices from Yoganand because he shows great respect to his students and he encourages the individuality of a practitioner’s own development. The Pranakriya interpretation of these ancient teachings and expression of these practices draw from the teachings of Swami Kripalu. Personally, these teachings inspire me, to want to continue to grow, to have faith in the practice, in the prana, in myself.
Yoga philosophy teaches us that everything in the universe is made of two things: energy and consciousness. In my classes, I strive to give participants the opportunity to experience a deep and evolving conscious connection with their own Life Force energy. We explore the nature of breathing and how you can use breath to enhance daily living. While we are breathing, we use different body postures and movements to awaken energy flow in your body to learn the richness of subtlety and compassion.
My teaching aims to inspire in students a self-curiosity, a desire to learn to see what’s in there, and then move beyond and through stuck-areas of thinking, emotional processing, and physical challenges. We are all capable of living a life “Fully Alive” to manifest our highest potentials – it’s just going to look different for Every Body.
I teach yoga as a practice for Every Body that comes into the room, and I enjoy working with students representing all shapes and abilities. Whether you are in perfect health or working with physical challenges and dis-ease, yoga offers something to enhance your health and improve your quality of life. Our bodies are a reflecting expression of our thoughts and our experiences. Through the practice of yoga and body therapies like Thai Yoga Therapy and Structural Integration, we can learn how to process and release physical, emotional and spiritual injuries and scars. We can also change the course of our lives and affect the evolution of our health, our physical shape and our evolution as spiritual beings. Thanks for letting me share my experience with you.
Certifications & Trainings
Yoga Teaching Certifications & Trainings
- Restorative Yoga Teacher Training with Jacci Gruninger & Shelbi Miles (2015)
- Prenatal Yoga Teacher Training with Jacci Gruninger (2014)
- Pranakriya Yoga – 300 hour Certification with Yoganand Michael Carroll (2010)
- Trauma Sensitive Yoga Teacher Training with Dave Emerson & Bessel van der Kolk (2009)
- Pranakriya Yoga – 200 hour Certification with Yoganand Michael Carroll (2008)
- Life Force Yoga Level 1 Weekend with Amy Weintraub (2007)
- Teaching Adaptive Yoga for Multiple Sclerosis with Karen Clarke (2007)
- Kripalu Yoga – 500 hour Certification (2007)
- Kripalu Yoga – 200 hour Certification with Melanie Armstrong-King, Tarika Diana D’amelio, & Rashmi Sue Jenkins (2001)
Body Therapy Certifications & Trainings
- Reiki Master Attunement with Patricia Kilpatrick (2013)
- Reiki II Attunement with Patricia Kilpatrick (2012)
- Structural Integration with Emmett Hutchins, Amber Bernham & Jeff Linn at the Guild for Structural Integration (2012)
- Reiki I Attunement with Patricia Kilpatrick (2011)
- Advanced Thai Medicine Theory with Pierce Salguero, Thai Institute of Healing Arts (2010)
- Thai Herbal Medicine Theory with Pierce Salguero, Thai Institute of Healing Arts (2010)
- Advanced Thai Massage Theory with Pierce Salguero, Thai Institute of Healing Arts (2010)
- Structural Yoga Therapy with Mukunda Stiles (2007)
- Thai Yoga Therapist Certificate from Saul David Raye (2007)
- Advanced Traditional Thai Nerve Touch Massage Certificate from Lek Chaiya, Chiang Mai, Thailand (2006)
- Traditional Thai Nerve Touch Massage Certificate from Lek Chaiya, Chiang Mai, Thailand (2006)
- General Traditional Thai Massage – Nuad Boran Certificate from Wat Po, Bangkok, Thailand (2006)
- Structural Yoga Therapy with Mukunda Stiles (2005)
- Meridian Yoga Therapy with Daniel Orlansky (2004)
- Thai Yoga – Basic Practitioner Certificate with Saul David Raye (2003)
MY INSTAGRAM FEED:
YOGA WITH WILLIAM
Statement of Faith
If we are somehow endowed with participation of some kind of divinity, then we are indeed special, and should treat each other with the respect and dignity this demands.
If, on the other hand, we are the accidental outcome of blind natural processes in a cosmos that is indifferent to us being here at all, then we are indeed special, and should treat each other with a tenderness and respect befitting such serendipitous surprises.
by Frank Casper
Lay Minister, Unitarian Universalist Congregation of Atlanta
Atlanta, Georgia © 2008